Friday, May 27, 2011

"44" by Jools Sinclair

44From Goodreads: "Last year after falling through the ice, seventeen-year-old Abby Craig woke up from death.

But she woke into a world she barely recognizes. She can't see colors, memories have been erased, and her friends all hate her. And then there's Jesse, who she loves, but who refuses to forgive her the one mistake she made long ago.

Just when she thinks it can't get any worse, the visions begin. In them, she sees a faceless serial killer roaming the streets. While the police believe that there have been a lot of accidents in town lately, Abby knows differently. And she soon realizes that it's up to her to find him.

But to stop him, she'll have to confront more than just the killer. She'll have to face something else that was lost in those dark waters. The truth.

In the tradition of Amanda Hocking, 44 is a thrilling paranormal romance mystery novel that keeps readers at the edge of their seats and glued to the very end. The ending will haunt you forever."


When I first started this book and saw that it was only 70 PDF pages long I must admit that I was initially taken aback. I have grown so accustomed to YA books which are at least 200 pages long and therefore I was quite concerned that this story wouldn't be all that developed/ that the plot would be rushed. Though I am more than pleased to say that that is not the case whatsoever for this book- everything from the setting, to the timeframe, to the characters, was beautifully developed.


The ending of this book took me completely by surprise- the first time I read it I actually did a double take thinking to myself, "Huh?" and had to reread it. Though what is revealed in the ending is quite depressing I wouldn't have wanted it any other way- the ending of this book truly makes it stand out amongst so many YA books which deal with psychic abilities, ghosts, and the likes of- leaving the reader utterly speechless (in the best possible way) and itching for the next installment in this series.

All in all, this book is truly a gem and I highly recommend it- especially for those who are fans of Kimberly Derting's "The Body Finder" series and Meg Cabot's "Vanished" and "Mediator" series. I truly (and somewhat surprisingly) have no complaints about this book because it literally took my breath away.

Rating: 10/10

I received this book from the author to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

CymLowell

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very good. I think I would be wary of a 70 page book. However, I'm glad that it really worked out for you! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.