Monday, April 16, 2012

ARC Review: "Destined" by Aprilynne Pike

Release Date: May 1, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 320

From Goodreads: "Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful—and deadly—of all, and she is working with Klea to conquer and destroy Avalon. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares for a fight she never thought she would have to face.

Filled with heart-pounding action, sweeping romance, and higher stakes at every turn, Destined is the series conclusion that readers have been clamoring for—with a twist that will leave them breathless."


As I am sure some of you have come to realize over the course of my blogging I love Aprilynne Pike's "Wings" series. Like A LOT. In fact, not too long ago "Destined" graced my Top 10 Most Highly Anticipated Books of 2012 list and last fall I even made a WoW post (one of my most popular posts to this day) where I detailed everything that I hoped would happen in this book, the final book in the series. However, I must admit that after having finished I am not entirely satisfied with it and I can't quite put my finger on why and it is a fairly irrational feeling as the large majority of what I was hoping to happen in this book did. I'm not sure if just feels like something is missing, that I have outgrown the characters (after all, I am a whole year older than them than I was while I read "Illusions'), or something along those lines.

I think I got it, I think that it is a combination that I am having a difficult time relating to the 17 or so year old characters and that this book didn't have any moments that took my breath away, unlike in the previous books where there were countless instances that that happened. Like in "Illusions" when Tamani told Laurel that he couldn't be nicer to her boyfriend, David, because, "I just don't want to cozy up to the guy whose girl I have every intention of stealing"... I really wanted to be swept off of my feet by this book Tamani and while there were times that I came close to being pushed off of the edge of the swoon-worthy ledge, I never completely made it off said ledge. Or, or, perhaps it is that David played a HUGE role in this book, arguably the largest role he has played in any other book and seeing as I have never been a David fan, well... That might explain it. Or, or, because Laurel was so defenseless in the first half of this book- I mean, she didn't even get a knife or sword! Yeah, I'm just going to stop now because I am obviously not any closer to figuring out what about this book irked me.

That being said, the remainder of the book was quite good. The vast majority of it took me by surprise- I never expected there to be so much action and adventure in this book as there was. Also, I enjoyed that each of the faerie fractions got their own individual chance in the spotlight, it allowed us to develop a deeper understanding and awareness of them and the abilities that they possess (for instance the Summer faeries during a moment of action).

All in all, while I was obviously a bit disappointed by this installment of the series, I would still highly recommend it to readers of all ages (the earlier books especially)! This is by far my most favourite faerie-related book series I have ever read before and one that I will come back to time and time again.

Rating: 8/10

I received this book from the publisher/ Edelweiss to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review. 

3 comments:

  1. I still need to read the first book. Sorry that this one didn't rock your socks off, but perhaps it was the anticipation? Still you enjoyed it so I think I need to add this one to the wishlist as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The replica watches proudest quality of a Hermes Birkin bag is the fact that it is custom made for the buyer. Its exotic harm comes from the various kinds of skins they use to create this fashionable and trendy piece of accessory. Sometimes these bags can cost a real fortune! But if you are in need of a replica for these hermes birkins then you can always look for a replica store like six star replica where you can get a very good quality and durable replica of this brand.Article Source: Bond is author of this article on Louis Vuitton Replica Handbags. Though online shopping is becoming very common, many of us are still not comfortable with the idea of buying our favorite products including best replica handbags online. People are afraid of louis vuitton replica online shopping not without reason, their concerns are legitimate and it is only prudent to be cautious. However, this does not mean that we are to be paranoid about shopping online. Though our fears are legitimate, we can safely shop for our favorite replica handbags by taking certain precautionary measures. When it comes to online shopping, things have changed a great deal. We do not have to be anxious about using our credit cards online anymore. Lot of security features have come to protect the customers? interests. We will be able to shop safely online provided the replica stores that we are using has all the security features. There are number of good websites like with all the safety features. We must just be cautious enough to chanel replica avoid stores that have bad reputation are stores that do not have any SSL features. When a website is not secure, then the information that we send to the website can be intercepted by third parties. We can lose our credit card information to third parties that can abuse the information they steal. So avoid websites that are not popular or websites. You can also check for reviews online about the web store from which you would like to prada belts buy your replica Louis Vuitton, Gucci replica handbags, Louis Vuitton replica wallets, Hermes replica handbags, replica designer sunglasses, Hermes Birkin replicas and Hermes Kelly replicas. If the website should have any negative history, then it will come to breitling replica light when you make a search online using the name of the website. If you come across any such negative feedback, take it seriously and avoid such stores.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.